Spousal Sponsorship

One of the main aims of the Canadian Immigration System is to bring families closer and together. The government does this in the form of the Family sponsorship category that welcomes more than 80,000 immigrants each year solely through this category.

When an individual is agreeing to be a sponsor, he/she must sign an undertaking promising to give financial support for the basic needs of their spouse or partner and their dependent children. Some of the basic needs are as follows:

  • Food, clothing, shelter, and other needs for everyday living,
  • Dental care, eye care, and other health needs that aren’t covered by public health services.

To be an eligible sponsor, one must meet the following criteria:

  • Must be at least 18 years old
  • Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or are registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act. Permanent residents looking to sponsor must reside in Canada at the time of submitting their sponsorship application.
  • Must demonstrate you are not receiving social assistance unless you have a disability.

Must show you can meet the financial needs of your loved one in Canada.

Spousal Work Permit

If you are a spouse of a full-time student in Canada, you may be eligible for an open work permit.

You may also be eligible for a spousal open work permit if you are the spouse of someone working in Canada.

It takes several months to process an open work permit and there are several factors that can affect the timelines.

General guidelines to be eligible for a spousal open work permit are:

  • a spouse of a skilled worker in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B approved to work in Canada six months or longer
  • a spouse of someone applying for the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program in a job under NOC 0, A, B or C
  • a spouse of a foreign student at a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university or collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec
  • a family member of a foreign representative, or

a family member of a foreign military member who is working in Canada

Sponsoring a Child or Dependent Children

To become a sponsor,one must fulfill the following criteria:

  • Must be 18 years old,
  • Must be a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident,
  • Must be living in Canada:
  • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.
  • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside of Canada.
  • Must be able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability, and;

It is also necessary to show that you can provide basic needs for yourself, your spouse, your spouse’s dependent children, or your dependent children.

Parents, Grandparents Sponsorship

If you want to sponsor your parents and grandparents, you must submit your interest online.

To become a sponsor, you must:

    • Yourself
    • your spouseor common-law partner (who could also be your co-signer)
    • your dependent children (and the dependent children of your spouse or partner above)
    • any dependent children of your dependent children
    • any other person you (and your co-signer, if applicable) may have sponsored in the past, for whom you’re still financially responsible
    • the parents and grandparents you want to sponsor and their dependants (spouse, partner and dependent children, if applicable).
  • You must also include:
    • any dependent children who won’t come to Canada with your parents or grandparents
    • your parent or grandparent’s spouse or partner, even if they won’t come to Canada
    • your parent or grandparents’ separated spouse, if applicable

If an individual is invited to apply to sponsor their parents or grandparents, there are 2 applications to be filled:

  1. Application to become a sponsor.
  1. The parents or grandparents need to apply for permanent residence.

Both these sponsorships and the permanent residence applications need to be submitted online at the same time.

Getting Started

How To Know Your Options Of Canadian Immigration.

There are over 60 Canadian immigration programs. Be it a business, an individual or a family, we are here to help.

Call For Inquiry

(778) 564-0192

E-Mail For Inquiry

Get A Free Consultation

Contact Us

Pin It on Pinterest