Designated Learning Institution List
In most cases, prospective international students who wish to study at a Canadian post-secondary institution need to provide a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution when applying for a Canadian study permit.
Applicants must provide the Designated Learning Institution number (DLI #) for their school of choice. The DLI number is the number that begins with the letter “O” on the study permit application form.
In certain cases, students may be exempt from providing a letter from a DLI, or from providing a DLI number in their application. These cases may include, but are not limited to:
- Students at a primary or secondary institution. These schools are all automatically designated, and no DLI number is provided.
- A family member of a foreign national whose application for a work permit or a study permit is approved in writing before the foreign national enters Canada. In this case, the family member may obtain an open study permit.
- Some institutions in Quebec are designated by the provincial government, but do not have a unique DLI number.
Sometimes, institutions may lose their designated status. Depending on when the status is lost, the international student may be affected.
- If an individual submits an application for a study permit with a letter of acceptance from an institution that is not a DLI, the study permit application is refused.
- If an individual submits an application for a study permit with a letter of acceptance from a DLI, but the institution loses its designated status before the study permit can be issued, the student has three options. He or she may:
- Withdraw the application;
- Submit a letter of acceptance from a different DLI;
- Do nothing, in which case the application will be processed according to the information provided. The application will therefore be refused.
- If an individual receives a study permit for a DLI, and the institution loses its designated status after the study permit is issued, the student has two options. He or she may:
- Transfer to another DLI;
- Continue studying at the non-designated institution until his or her study permit expires. In this case, the study permit may not be renewed for the non-designated institution.
Designated Learning Institutions by Province
Below is a list of Canada’s Designated Learning Institutions. Select the province/territory in which your institution is located to view a complete list of Designated Learning Institutions in the province/territory.
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
- Northwest Territories
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
why choose us
As with most things, the more you know, the better you will be.
A solution is proposed, from here you can action the plan with just outline assistance.
Rapid solutions to the most complex business challenges with cooperative process-driven.
The process of preparing the documentation, guiding at every step for the process was an amazing experience. I respect the commitment, dedication and their integrity. I will always recommend Arora Canadian Immigration Consulting to every student.
We used the services of Arora Canadian Immigration Consultant to apply for permanent residence through the BC- PNP Program. Here is what we had to say “Fast working, always helpful with answering questions. We found them on our Google search and we selected them as our family immigration consultant.
First of all would like to take the opportunity to thank the whole team of Arora Canadian Immigration, for their consequent and very professional assistance that I consider now, after succeeding in obtaining my immigration visa indispensable. I can definitely recommend everyone, who intends to receive a Skilled Worker Visa in Canada, to rely on their advisory services .
Would you like to speak to one of our consultant over phone? Just submit your details and we’ll be in touch shortly. You can also email us if you would prefer
January 15, 2020
December 9, 2019
October 24, 2019